The Holiday Season can bring new opportunities for criminals. The Village of Amityville Police Department hopes you take into consideration the following safety tips during this 2012 Holiday Season:
- Be aware of your surroundings at all times.
- Park in a well-lit area and have your keys and cell phone at the ready.
- Remember where you parked. Look at the row markings when you arrive.
- Keep packages and valuables out of view in the car and lock your vehicle.
- Try to shop with a companion during daylight hours.
- Only take with you what is necessary for shopping. If you are pickpocketed, you don’t want to lose everything.
- Set the alarm if you have one.
- Let trusted neighbors know your plans so they can keep watch.
- Lock the doors and turn on outdoor lighting.
- Try to be home for package deliveries. A package sitting on the doorstep can be a dead giveaway that no one is home.
- Be alert and aware of what is happening in your neighborhood and our community.
- Call the Police immediately if something seems out of the ordinary.
Our roadways can be extremely dangerous during normal circumstances. When you factor in our preoccupied minds during this holiday season, congested roadways and people rushing around, this can only increase the odds of having an accident. Add alcohol or talking and texting on the phone to this equation and you create a recipe for disaster.
We implore you to be responsible and alert. When driving, wear your seatbelts and stay off the phone. If you ability is impaired, DO NOT DRIVE!
The members of the Amityville Police Department wish our community a safe and healthy Holiday Season and hope you seriously consider our recommendations.
Chief Donald J. Dobby, Jr.