Please see the following message from the Village of Amityville website:
State of Emergency in the Village of Amityville beginning 2:00 p.m. Sunday, October 28th and continuing until 2:00 p.m. Thursday, November 1, 2012. The Amityville Village Office of Emergency Management has declared a mandatory evacuation of Village residents south of Merrick Rd. or who live in a low lying area that has flooded in the past.
LIPA call center is 800-490-0075.
Log onto Amityville.com for continuous updates or call the Village Storm Information number at 631-264-7651.
Safe Havens (provides shelter but no services and pets are not allowed) :
• Lindenhurst High School, 300 Charles Street, Lindenhurst, NY 11757.
• Babylon Town Hall Annex, 281 Phelps Lane, Babylon, NY
• Brentwood High School, Sonderling Bldg. - 52 Third Avenue, Brentwood, NY 11717
Pet Friendly Shelters:
• Brentwood Rec Center – 99 Third Avenue, Brentwood, NY 11717
• Suffolk County Community College Eastern Campus – Corchaug Bldg. - 121 Speonk-Riverhead Road Riverhead, NY 11901, Brentwood, NY
Anyone planning to utilize shelters, please remember to:
• Bring medications and disposable medical supplies
• Shutoff your electric power
Residents who live in mandatory evacuation areas are reminded that if you do not evacuate, police, fire and emergency rescue personnel will not be able to help you once there is flooding and sustained winds of 50 mph.
Residents who wish to move their cars to safer areas may park in Village municipal parking lots and the LIRR parking lot.
As we mentioned previously, LIPA has advised us that since this is a slow moving, multi-day storm, it is likely that power outages will be long because it may not be possible to send crews in to fix the outages if the winds create life-threatening situations for LIPA crew.